Corps members may also wear black professional shoes in addition to their Timberland issued boots as part of their uniform. Please be advised that there are certain signature City Year events throughout the year (i.e. Opening Day, Annual Gala, Graduation) that will require corps members to wear their Timberland boots instead of black shoes. However, if corps members have orthopedic conditions that prohibit them from wearing their boots, black shoes will be acceptable only with the provision of a doctor’s note.
The following is a list of requirements and images detailing appropriate black professional shoes as part of the City Year Uniform. Anything that does not comply with these requirements will be considered out of standards and cannot be worn with the uniform.
City Year Requirements for Black Professional Shoes
1. Shoes must be entirely black without any colored accents displaying visible logos, brands or designs (i.e. pink Nike swoosh, white Adidas logo, brightly colored stitching or welting, glitter, sequins, sheer mesh, etc.). Please note that it is acceptable for black shoes to have logos, brands or designs so long as they are entirely black as well.
2. Shoes must have shoe laces and be closed toe and heel. Shoe laces must also be black. Any slip-ons, ballet flats, moccasins and boat shoes (even if these have laces) are not allowed.
3. Shoes must have a black sole. Any sole that is of a different color (even white or brown) is not allowed.
4. Shoes must be appropriate for physical activity at a school site (i.e. yard support at recess, physical activities during ASP, 10-hr days and walking around a school campus). In other words, any high-heeled pumps, booties, and wedges are not allowed. Professional dress shoes that comply with all of these requirements are acceptable, though not recommended due to the amount of standing and movement required in a regular service day.
5. Black athletic shoes and sneakers are allowed if they comply with all of these requirements. Toe shoes such as the Vibram Five-Fingers athletic shoes are not allowed.
6. Black canvas shoes such as Converse Chuck Taylors, Keds, Vans, etc. are allowed if they comply with all of these requirements.
7. Black high-top shoes are allowed if they comply with all of these requirements.
8. Black leather shoes are allowed if they comply with all of these requirements.
9. Black boots are not allowed as the only appropriate boots that can be worn with the uniform are your City Year-issued Timberland boots.
10. Please see the following page for examples of acceptable and non-acceptable professional black shoes.